Ask questions, find answers, and connect with other nurses...

SignUp Forums BIPOC Differences in pain managment with POC. Have u ever noticed? Did u advocate? Reply To: Differences in pain managment with POC. Have u ever noticed? Did u advocate?

• Carrie Lamb

February 10, 2021 at 4:54 pm

I have witnessed this too often. Unfortunately, BIPOC women’s complaints of pain (or other concerns) are often dismissed or minimalized. In order to advocate, I first establish a rapport and trust with the person, as quickly as possible. This helps me to get a complete assessment as possible. Then the difficult conversations come with the provider, resident, primary nurse, or whoever is not providing optimal care to the patient. If that conversation does not produce the desired result, then I move right up the chain of command. We need to address this at all levels so that we can change these misperceptions more broadly, but at the bedside is the most immediate and vital time to draw the line and say “no” we will do better for this patient. It is also important to remember that this is likely not their first encounter with this type of treatment in the healthcare setting. Look at all the clinical clues, and don’t assume that “I’m fine” means that they are fine. Establishing trust is fundamental in being a successful advocate.

Great discussion!

Carrie